Saturday, September 19, 2009

Konza, Second City AND 20 miles!

Whoa-nelly! I've got LOTS to report--hold on to your hats!

KONZA
First off, the BEST class field trip ever! I hoped to impart my love for the outdoors with physical activity and took 2 of my classes to Konza Prairie Reserve to hike the 4 mile loop. We had originally hoped to hike 6 mile route, but the timing and our pace as a class wasn't allowing this to happen and be back at school by 2! So, alas, we still had a great time and enjoyed the great outdoors thanks to some really adventurous Sophomore boys and geckos/grasshoppers/bugs/anything living that they found and thrust in the face of any female within the vicinity of them. Ahh....boys will be boys?! Needless to say, I moved from RIGHT behind them to towards the middle/back of the pack. Check out some fun pics below:

Started off my day of activity after spinning this morning with a Passion-fruit flavored Coconut water as an effort to stay ahead of dehydration! It is a task for someone like me that sweats--well, A LOT is an understatment at times;)
Great view with a super fun student Shug/Doodie or Kam-Bam:) Depends on what you'd like to call her! So cute!
Lunch break, we all brought lunch and popped-a-squat! The boys claimed not to be hungry and wanted to play in the nature...as I heard one of them mention later, "I've got nature all over my legs..."
Back on the trail, cute hats/sunglasses or maybe it was their "official hiking gear."

I loved the color contrast of greens/tans/yellow colors against and blue sky with big white fluffy clouds

One of my roads/trails ahead.

No one else wanted me to take their picture, so K-dawg was all about it...I was all about photog-ing our random finds--like this well that is only used under supervision and permission and stuff..


Check out what came in the mail for me yesterday!!
My official confirmation ticket to the CHICAGO MARATHON! whoop whoop!! I read it immediately and will probably 7 more times before heading to Chicago:)

SECOND CITY
That's right, in typical Chicago fashion, I went to SECOND CITY last night! My friend John asked me to go with him, and it was AWESOME! :)

Jenny and I had to pose for a quick pic in our matching shirts before I headed out the door:) That's right, I DID wear the shirt to the show, I had to represent the Chi-town experience! One of the cast members was from Chicago, so just like the red-head in the latest Sonic commercials (I'm like your little tator-tot) I look at these people and feel like their my friends from Chicago!
Sweet hook-up:
So John is a Friend of McCain and he got an invite on his seats for a little smoozing action in the Director's Lounge! I was extremely excited to meet some folks and enjoy FREE refreshments which was a bottle of water for me and John and a little Pepperidge Farm cookie;) Super funny! Good times had by all!

Onto this morning's JAUNT!
As I looked down at these feet, I was trying to give them a little pep-talk. Like, "here we go fellas, got 20 miles ahead of us, you got this? slow and steady, don't quit on me, ok?! You can do it!"
This is my friend for these long runs, unfortunately I did not apply enough today do the immediate upper area of under arm, and wow, let's just say: PAIN and screaming out bloody murder in the shower!
Not exactly sure what was happening here. Looks like I was still dancing to Miley's latest hit: Party in the USA when NP was at my house ready to hit the road, and JG took a pic!
Brrr this morning! Wowza, it was 48 degrees according to my computer when we started out. Def could see my breath! That long sleeved was awesome to wear at the start, light weight and warm, had to be shed though around mile 7.
So the journey this morning found my legs, body, and mind fatigued from a really intense week! This was the climax of the training week, so as of today I've logged 40 miles THIS WEEK! That's a lot, and when the alarm went off this morning, my body was not super excited for the trek! I have had some issues this week with my right knee and ankle and I got them re-aligned from my favorite Chiro here in town on Friday, but this morning I was hurting around mile 6 and then again really intensely around mile 13! I considered stopping because I felt like I was just slinging my right knee thru ankle/foot along for the ride. I felt very gimpy and NOT good! I was getting discouraged and just announced to NP that I was going to pray. So, I did. And I asked God for grace to finish the run. I asked God to take away the pain and allow me to finish this moring. I kept asking for other things and lifted up people and it was a really great opportunity to connect with Him this morning. The pain went away. It wasn't even a dull ache, it was gone and I was moving forward and feeling good. The motto today was: slow and steady. My pace stayed right around 10 min/mile. I was in the 9:4o's ish and the 10:11's sometimes. My goal was to finish under 3:20 and made it: 3:19!
Can still put my arms up! We got done in the middle of the trail with still about 1.5 left before we got to my house.
There's more miles to log, but from here on out, it's TAPER time! I say now that I'm ready to take it easy, but we'll see how I do when I really do run less and less. It'll be different that's for sure--don't worry, I'll keep you posted;)

This afternoon I slept for awhile and will do MORE of it very soon!

Happy weekend!
Love-Shelb

No comments:

Post a Comment